JIM CARTER, Deputy Chair of the Eric Wright Group Limited, Chairman of Maple Grove Developments Limited
Jim is a Master of Laws and a Fellow of The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors with extensive development experience in complex schemes.
He was previously employed at Hyndburn Borough Council as an Assistant Director with special responsibility for estates, building control and economic development. He joined Maple Grove Developments in 1986 initially as Development Manager and was appointed to Director on 1 March 1989. Thereafter he became Chief Executive Officer for the entire Group.
He was actively involved in development management and took the lead on the company’s award winning developments in Kendal and Ripon. Jim’s contract as CEO came to an end in 2010. He named his successor, and from then on he has continued in a support role as Deputy Chairman to ensure a smooth transition for the Group into the next generation.
Jim has held the following positions within the RICS:
- Member of Governing Council
- Chairman of Management Board
- Former Chairman of Strategy and Resources Board
- Former Chairman of Marketing Policy Committee
- Former Chairman of Ethics, Standards & Consumer Protection Policy Committee
- Former Chairman of the Professional Ethics Working Party
- Former Chairman of the Company Law Review Working Party
He was awarded the first ever president’s medal for services to the profession.
As well as being a Member of the Board of the Lancashire Enterprise Partnership, he is also a:
- Member of the Board of Directors of Preston Youth Zone – a charity set up to develop, in partnership with Lancashire County Council, a state of the art youth facility in Preston City Centre.
- Member of the Board of Directors of Chorley Youth Zone, similarly charged with building a facility in Chorley.
- Member of the Board of Directors of Water Park Limited, a charitable company set up to run an outward bound facility on the banks of Coniston and owned by the Eric Wright Trust.
Jim was formerly a trustee of the College of Estate Management at Reading University. He was made a fellow of the College for his work in property.
Eric Wright Group
The Group comprises five major trading entities involved in construction, civil engineering, commercial and residential development, property ownership and facilities management. Turnover is £160 million with 540 employees.
Anne Marie Gaskell"I cannot wait for the Youth Zone to open, especially to see my own and other young people’s creativity come to life. This is a great chance for all our ideas to be heard." Anne Marie Gaskell
Councillor Bradley“People have been telling us that our young people need somewhere to go where they can enjoy their spare time and to help them fulfil their potential, this Youth Zone would deliver something exciting for all young people across Chorley. By working together we could create a top class facility, giving our young people somewhere they could be proud of.” Chorley Council Leader, Alistair Bradley
Andrew Turner"The young people of Chorley deserve an OnSide Youth Zone which will give them a safe and inspiring place to spend their leisure time, and we are on the road to making that dream a reality.” Chairman of Chorley Youth Zone, Andrew Turner